These are our standard Terms & Conditions that cover all aspects of our agreement with you to supply your wedding with a cake that will be designed, made & delivered according to your specifications. Please ensure that you have our latest T&C’s (this update May 2019).
- We will design your wedding cake based on a photographic Cake Concept chosen & provided by you.
- The photographic Cake Concept is integral to your Quotation.
- Any alterations to the Cake Concept must be notified in writing with a description and/or photograph.
- In the event of all alterations to the Cake Concept, we retain the right to revise our Quotation to reflect additional material and/or labour costs.
- Alterations to the Cake Concept may only be made up to 30 days prior to the wedding date.
- The photographic Cake Concept is intended as a representation of the cake. The actual product may vary based on the designer’s creative interpretation & any construction practicalities, whilst maintaining the integrity of the overall look.
- Dark colours are very unstable & cannot be guaranteed. They tend to fade & can bleed into surrounding colours of frostings/icings.
- When we have received all required information from you, we will provide you with a written Quotation.
- The Quotation will list out all details of the order, in particular:
- The date & location of the wedding;
- The make-up of the cake, its decoration & its cake board;
- The cost of the cake, delivery & cake stand hire;
- The timing of payments to be made.
- To accept the Quotation, a signed copy of the Quotation & these Terms & Conditions must be sent back to us & the Save-the-Date fee must be received by us.
- Once accepted, the Quotation is binding upon you & subject to these Terms & Conditions.
- Our service to you will be based entirely on the accepted Quotation. As such, it is your responsibility to ensure that the details of the Quotation are complete & accurate before accepting it.
- If one or more items on the Quotation prior to acceptance do not reflect your understanding of the wedding arrangements &/or Cake Concept, you must notify this discrepancy to us as soon as possible, so that a revised Quotation can be sent to you.
- Any discrepancies notified to us after acceptance of the Quotation will be considered an alteration to the Cake Concept & handled as per above.
- The tasting is your opportunity to sample the flavour/filling cake combinations that you have chosen as options from our Flavours & Fillings list.
- If you would like to attend a Tasting, we strongly recommend that you arrange for this to occur outside of “Wedding Season” i.e. April to August. At this time, a minimum notice period of two (2) weeks is required.
- During the “Wedding Season” i.e. September through to March, a minimum notice of one (1) month is required and Tastings can only be conducted on Mondays or Tuesdays.
- Because we are a special order business, we do not bake every flavour of every cake every day. The cakes at your tasting will be baked especially for you.
- The cost of a Tasting is R190 per cake/filling combination.
- The cost of your Tasting will be invoiced to you and payment must be made at the time of booking.
- We can accommodate up to four (4) persons at the tasting.
- Save-the-Date Fee:
- Production of your cake will require that we commit a period of time exclusively to that project.
- This time period must be reserved in advance by way of a Save-the-Date fee of R500 for orders of R3,000 or less & R1,000 for orders over R3,000.
- This fee forms part of the total purchase price & is payable when accepting our Quotation.
- By reserving your time period, you are protected as we will not accept other orders that will create a conflict.
- However, please be aware that the reservation of this time is entirely on a “first come, first served” basis, thus if there is a delay in your acceptance of our Quotation & another customer has reserved what would have been your time period, we may not be able to take your order.
- The Save-the-Date fee is not refundable under any circumstances.
- Decorating Deposit:
- If a cake has several decorating elements, such as sugar flowers, that must be created well in advance of the cake, a Decorating Deposit may be requested to cover the cost of this advance work.
- The amount of the Decorating Deposit and the date for its payment will be specified in the quote.
- Balance of Cost:
- The Balance of Cost (i.e. Quotation cost less Save-the-Date fee and Decorating Deposit) is payable no later than thirty (30) days prior to the wedding date.
- If the Balance of Cost is not received by this date, we reserve the right to consider your order cancelled. Please note that the Save-the-Date fee is not refundable in this circumstance.
- Method of Payment:
- Cash or EFT
- Our bank details will be furnished at time of order
- Please note that any bank charges levied due to transactions such as overseas payments or domestic cash deposits are for your account. The amounts of these charges will be added to Balance of Cost. We will notify you of the amount of these charges if they occur.
- Any cancellation of your order must be made to us in writing.
- If you notify us of a cancellation less than fourteen (14) days prior to the wedding date, both the Save-the-Date fee, Decorating Deposit and Balance of Cost are non-refundable.
- If you notify us of a cancellation before fourteen (14) days prior to the wedding day, then the Balance of Cost will be refunded.
- Where the advance decorating work specified under the Decorating Deposit has been performed prior to cancellation, then the Decorating Deposit is non-refundable.
- The Save-the-date fee is non-refundable in any circumstance.
- We charge a delivery fee of R50 to venues in St. Helena Bay.
- We charge a delivery fee of R250 to venues in the towns of Paternoster, Langebaan, Jacobsbaai, Vredenburg, Saldanha and Velddrif/Laaiplek.
- The delivery charge to venues further away will be determined on a “round-trip” mileage basis and specified in the quote.
- We will contact you in the week prior to the day of delivery to agree the time at which the cake must be delivered. If we do not receive a response from you, our default delivery time will be midday.
- On request, you must provide us with clear delivery instructions to the wedding location.
- You must provide us with details of any known adverse conditions or obstacles that may impact the delivery &/or risk damage of the finished cake.
- It is your responsibility to arrange a suitable location in which to assemble the cake at the venue. Please note that this location should not be subject to excessive heat or be in direct sunlight.
- It is also your responsibility to ensure that the table or stand onto which the cake will be placed is suitable for its purpose & appropriately decorated.
- Please be aware that an outdoor set-up for a cake carries higher risks than an indoor set-up. The range of adverse factors can include hot or wet weather conditions, un-level ground, wind-blown items (dust, dirt, leaves etc), sunlight, insects & other wildlife. It should be understood that products such as icings, fillings & cake decorations may deteriorate rapidly in these conditions.
- We will deliver & set-up the cake in an outdoor location as required, but you must accept any adverse consequences of that request.
- Should you choose to collect the cake, be aware that responsibility for the cake passes to you once it leaves our premises.
Cake Stand Hire:
- Where required, we will provide a suitable cake stand on a hire basis.
- The Hiring Fee for the cake stand will be determined by the item(s) chosen from our Presentation & Serving-ware for Hire Listing.
- The period of hire is solely for the day of your wedding.
- In addition to the cake stand hire, R150 will be charged to cover the cost of retrieving the cake stand. This charge is a one-off regardless of the number of items hired.
- The cake stand is the property of A Cake Story and may not be removed from the wedding venue premises for any reason.
- Once delivery & set-up is complete, responsibility for the cake stand passes to you. As such, any loss of or damage to the cake stand will be for your account to the extent that the cake stand is replaced or returned to the condition it was in at time of delivery. Your responsibility for the cake stand will continue until retrieval the following day.
- We reserve the right to request a Cake Stand Security Deposit to guard against loss &/or damage to the cake stand. The amount of deposit will be detailed on the Quotation.
- The Cake Stand Security Deposit will be returned to you within seven (7) days of the wedding date, subject to the safe retrieval of the cake stand. In the event of loss &/or damage to the cake stand, the deposit will be used to replace &/or repair the cake stand and any unused balance of the deposit will be returned to you.
- We will make all reasonable efforts to create & deliver your cake.
- However, we cannot be liable for unforeseen circumstances, such as inclement weather, transportation problems, Eskom Load Shedding, illness, accidents, labour disputes or strikes, Acts of God, & other causes beyond normal control. Any delay to the delivery of the cake arising from any of the above factors shall not constitute grounds for a discount or refund.
- Once delivery & setup is complete, responsibility for the cake passes to you. We will not be responsible for any subsequent damage to the cake caused by a guest, caterer or any other person. We will take a time-stamped photograph of the cake when set-up is complete so as to evidence the moment when responsibility for the cake passes to you.
- You are responsible for the removal of all non-edible cake décor, including sugar flowers, before it is cut & served. Although sugar flowers are made from edible materials, they are not intended for consumption as wires & additional materials may have been added. Do not eat the cake décor!
- If you wish to use fresh flowers on the cake, it is your responsibility to check with the florist to determine flower safety & safe food practices. Please note that the placement of fresh flowers on the cake will only be made by us if specified in the Quotation.
- Our products may contain or come in contact with milk, wheat, nuts or other allergens. Whilst every precaution will be taken in the cases of known allergies, it remains your responsibility to inform your wedding guests. We accept no responsibility for any allergic reactions.
- We undertake to provide a product of high quality & service. Whilst we make every effort to provide exactly the flavours, fillings, decorations, sizes, shapes & colours you have requested, cake design is a creative & organic process & may be subject to slight variations &/or errors by the cake creator. You agree to accept those variations &/or errors where it is reasonable to do so.
- Your wedding cake is created with the express intention of consumption on the day of your wedding. As cake is a perishable commodity that will deteriorate rapidly unless kept in a controlled refrigerated environment, we cannot take any responsibility for the condition of any parts of your cake that are kept beyond the day of your wedding.
- Our liability to you is limited to the lower of the Quotation cost of the wedding cake & any monies received by us from you.
.Use of Photographs:
- We reserve the right to take & use our own photographs of your cake to use for marketing & promotional purposes, including advertising & promotion through our marketing partners, without compensation to you.